Toll-free hotline 1-800-803-7174.
All services are provided free of charge.
What is MMAP?
MMAP (pronounced "map") is a free counseling service for Medicare/Medicaid beneficiaries and their caregivers. Since 1984, MMAP has provided education and counseling assistance to Michigan’s Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries and their families or representatives.
MMAP is funded by a grant from the Michigan Office of Services to the Aging through funding received from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, the Medicare agency and a grant from the Administration on Aging, and is not affiliated with the insurance industry. Nationally, this program is called the State Health Assistance Program (SHIP).
MMAP, Inc. is a free health-benefit counseling service. Our goal is to help you find your way through the health benefits maze. MMAP accomplishes its mission through MMAP sites housed in regional Area Agencies on Aging, County Departments on Aging, Senior Services Agencies, Commissions on Aging and other similar organizations located throughout Michigan.
How MMAP can help you
Call 1-800-803-7174 to be connected with a local MMAP counselor who can help you:
- Identify resources for prescription drug assistance,
- Explain Medicare Health Plan Options
- Understand doctor bills, hospital bills and Medicare Summary Notices,
- Understand Medicare/Medicaid eligibility, enrollment, coverage, claims and appeals,
- Enroll in Medicare Savings Programs,
- Review your Medicare supplemental (“Medigap”) insurance needs, compare policies and pursue claims and refunds,
- Explore long term care financing options, including long term care insurance,
- Identify and report Medicare/Medicaid fraud and abuse.
If you are an out-of-state family member, you can work with a MMAP counselor by calling 1-800-803-7174.
About our counselors
MMAP counselors are specialists trained in Medicare and Medicaid law and regulations, health insurance counseling and relevant insurance products. MMAP counselors are not connected with any insurance company, nor are they licensed to sell insurance. Their purpose is to serve you objectively and confidentially. Currently, MMAP has hundreds of highly trained and certified counselors. These dedicated and compassionate people, many of them seniors, answer questions and act as guides through the Medicare and Medicaid programs. MMAP counselors have assisted many thousands of Michigan’s elder and disabled citizens and saved them many millions of dollars in out-of-pocket expenses, bringing peace of mind to those who are often confused and frightened when they deal with unfamiliar and difficult government systems.
MMAP counselors also conduct public presentations on Medicare, Medicaid, Medicare supplemental insurance, long term care insurance, Medicare Advantage options, Medicare/Medicaid fraud and abuse and other issues of importance to beneficiaries and their families. Call us at 1-800-803-7174 to make arrangements for your event.
MMAP’s Organizational Structure
MMAP operates under the direction of a volunteer Board of Directors. Membership on the Board consists of a variety of organizations that provide services to Michigan’s seniors and disabled adults. No member of the Board of Directors can represent an organization that provides services or products to seniors or disabled adults for a fee.
MMAP’s Guiding Principles
- Dedicated to making a positive difference in the lives of those we serve by providing the best possible beneficiary counseling service.
- Dedicated to empowering beneficiaries to make informed heath benefit decisions.
- Dedicated to providing excellent customer service.
- Dedicated to building local MMAP sites as centers of excellence.
- Dedicated to developing cultural competencies within the counselor and coordinator ranks by recruiting and expanding services to hard to reach populations.